Perth, Western Australia
|Population||2,913 (SAL 2021)|
|Area||1.6 km2 (0.6 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of South Perth|
|State electorate(s)||South Perth|
Around 1880, Samuel August Salter (after whom Salter Point was named) worked as a sawyer and timber contractor on the peninsula. At the time, the area was completely undeveloped, surrounded by dense bush with no road access.
Salter established a landing stage on the point known as "Salter's Landing", to which timber logs could be floated from where they were cut in Kelmscott and Jarrahdale for transportation to a mill by barge. Salter operated his business from this location for several years, leading to the area being renamed "Salter Point".
Samuel August Salter (1849–1930) son of British migrants Samuel and Sarah Salter, and brother to Hannah.[clarification needed] Hannah Buckingham (Salter) married Thomas Buckingham in 1871 and lived in Kelmscott.
In 1929 a road to the location was made.
In 1990, the suburb's name Salter Point was gazetted.
- Aquinas College, private boys' college, years 4–12
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (28 June 2022). "Salter Point (suburb and locality)". Australian Census 2021 QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2022.
- "ONE OF PERTH'S BEAUTY SPOTS Made Road Completed Right to SALTER'S POINT". The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 25 June 1929. p. 11 Edition: HOME FINAL EDITION. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- South Perth (W.A. : Municipality); Orr, Kate (1986), Salter Point foreshore management plan, Reserve 23967, City of South Perth, retrieved 17 January 2014
- Brooker, Jenna; Crisp, Nora; Prentice, Graeme; South Perth (W.A. : Municipality). Council (1994), Salter Point Foreshore management plan February 1994, City of South Perth, ISBN 978-0-646-17865-3
- Siemon, N. (Nicole); South Perth (W.A. : Municipality). Council; Ecosystem Management Services (1997), Salter Point and Waterford : foreshore management plan : an integral part of the Canning River wetlands (Draft ed.), South Perth, W.A. ;bCity of South Perth, retrieved 17 January 2014
- Cecil C. Florey, Peninsula city: a social history of the City of South Perth, City of South Perth, 1995, p. 125-6.
- Heritage Council of Western Australia, Page 4 "Documentary Evidence"
- City of South Perth Municipal Heritage Inventory "Origin and Meaning of Street and Place Names" Updated September 2005 Page 87 - 88